For over a year I resisted the call of Facebook and Twitter believing that the normal online news outlets would provide all the news I need on a daily basis. But, I was wrong. Facebook is great for keeping up with what your friends are doing on random days at random times. Sometimes just knowing that they are ok is enough.
Twitter is another story. Just the recent push to raise money for the people of Haiti has changed my perspective. The tweets and retweets about text messaging a donation were 24-48 hours ahead of most news outlets. That is the great part about Twitter – No Editors, No Meetings – Just real time updates.
Here is a short list of why you should care about Facebook, Twitter & Social Media:
1. Makes good use of down time – Waiting rooms and airports are my favorites but with the mobile applications on your iPhone, Blackberry and Google Android phone it makes reading and making updates extremely easy.
2. Stay in the know – Traditional media outlets only share what they think is news. Twitter gives you a little bit of everything. Facebook provides updates on all of your friends. Sometimes it is more than you want to know but you can provide your own filter.
3. Entertainment – Make me laugh monkey boy. We all like to be entertained. These tools give you 24-7 updates.
4. A place to Vent – What’s on your mind? This is the place to share – Just keep in mind – It could last forever.
5. Test New Ideas – Ever wonder what people think about a certain topic or business idea? This is a place to find out. The worst person to fool is you. A few good questions can provide a good perspective.
So Tweet, Facebook & MySpace – Jump in the conversation.
Tweet there it is. Join us on Facebook and Twitter - We love our followers.