Will Sam Bradford be the next Ryan Leaf or John Elway? Picking the top draft pick can be a very tricky as proven by the history of broken dreams in the NFL. Some will go on to be the Best NFL Quarterback or Best NFL Running Back of all time. Let’s review the list of top picks for the last 10 years to see which picks have Hall of Fame potential.
· 2000 - Courtney Brown, DE (Penn State) – Cleveland Browns
· 2001 – Michael Vick, QB (Va Tech) – Atlanta Falcons
· 2002 – David Carr, QB (Fresno State) – Houston Texans
· 2003 – Carson Palmer, QB (USC) – Cincinnati Bengals
· 2004 – Eli Manning, QB (Mississippi) – San Diego Chargers (traded to NY Giants)
· 2005 – Alex Smith, QB (Utah) – San Francisco 49ers
· 2006 – Mario Williams, DE (NC State) – Houston Texans
· 2007 – JaMarcus Russell, QB (LSU) – Oakland Raiders
· 2008 – Jake Long, T (Michigan) – Miami Dolphins
· 2009 – Matthew Stafford, QB (Georgia) – Detroit Lions
As you can see from the last ten #1 draft picks, you need a little luck and in order to end up with a difference maker. The Best NFL teams make the best picks at lower spots.