Which Senators are securing money for pet projects in their states? The non-partisan group Taxpayers for Common Sense tracks spending activities of the elected officials in government. This list provides the top Senators and the millions of dollars in earmarks (An earmark is an allocation of funds for projects in an elected officials home state and is typically buried in legislation) for their state over the past year. So help fund all the pet projects by filing early with this list of the Best Free Online Tax Services.
How do West Virginia & Hawaii top the list with so little population?
· Robert Byrd (D – WV) - $251.2M
· Daniel Inouye (D-HI) - $205M
· Thad Cochran (R – MI)- $102.4M
· Richard Shelby (R – AL) - $100.6M
· Kit Bond (R – MO) - $95.3M
· Harry Reid (D – NV) - $91.3M
· Tom Harkin (D – IA) - $66.6M
· Bob Bennet (R-UT) - $58.9M
· Patrick Leahy (D – VT) - $57.3M
So whatever your political preference, realize that there are many on both sides that have no issue finding ways to spend your tax dollars without any scrutiny by any governing body.